Body and gesture language

According to studies carried out by the German anthropologist Albert Mehrabian, in a face-to-face conversation verbal communication constitutes only the 35%, while the remaining 65% is made up of gestures and movements. This indicates that human beings are capable of transmitting a large number of information without using words, whether we are aware of it or not. Therefore, the body language it is the ability to transmit non-verbal information through our bodies.

Body language supports the verbal message we are sending during a communication and reveals our feelings, emotions and perceptions to our interlocutor. Nonverbal language encompasses gestures, movements, movements, gazes, facial expressions, body postures and voice; as well as our behavior, clothing, personal hygiene and presentation (grooming of hair and accessories).

Gestures are an important resource of body language, they communicate a wide variety of feelings and thoughts, from contempt and hostility to approval and affection, either as a complement or support to words when speaking. Gestures include movement of the hands, face, or other parts of the body.

In the oratoryGestural language is as important, at least, as verbal language. To communicate successfully, it is not enough that the speaker speaks with impeccable rhetoric and a well-placed voice, the way he uses his body and gestures can help him accentuate, substitute or even contradict what he expresses with his words. Just imagine what a speaker can convey if during his speech he keeps his arms crossed and avoids eye contact with the audience.

KEY GESTURES WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF

During a presentation, conference or seminar we must take care of our gestures when expressing a message, since they can hinder and divert the attention of our audience.

The face

It is the center of attention of all the public. Therefore, it is the most important way to express emotions and moods, since it reflects the attitudes, reactions before others and the emotions that a person feels at a certain moment. For this reason, if something displeases or displeases us, causes us grace and we do not want to manifest it, absolute self-control of our face is necessary since these can completely deviate our words.

Body language

At the time of transmitting information, the eyes are probably the most significant part for being the most expressive focus of the face. Through the look We can send multiple messages: rejection, threat, attraction, obligation, etc., as well as regulate communication and express emotions. The smile It also takes on special importance, since through it we can transmit different messages and hide emotions. A smile can communicate interest, it can soften rejection or communicate a friendly attitude.

Hands

They are a couple of elements that serve as a tool to reinforce what has been said through verbal communication. Therefore, during a presentation, you should avoid putting your hands inside your pockets (or hiding them from the public), crossing your arms forwards or behind your body. Ideally, let your arms and hands accompany our message, without gesturing excessively, without forcing any movement. To do this, we must leave the arms loose and relaxed on both sides of the body and start talking. After a few seconds, they will naturally be acting as auxiliaries to the speech.

Body language - counting on fingersThe movements.

They are a very graphic way of supporting the message that is exposed; the way we walk (we move from one place to another), reflect our attitudes and feelings about ourselves and our relationship with others. It is quite annoying to see a speaker who moves senselessly from side to side while speaking or one who while walking acts as if speaking to himself, without looking up at the audience and without stopping for a moment. Not to mention those who are stuck to the ground, as if their shoes were nailed. Except on special occasions that require sitting or standing in a fixed pre-established place, it is advisable to take a few steps while speaking (not walking in silence). Pauses must be accompanied by the body detained in one place. Our movements must be slow and safe, with a firm step and knowing the terrain well to avoid mishaps or accidents.